Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Group Project Evolution

And here's the short bit I wrote up for our large group performance.  I like that there's some text documenting much of the development thus far.


Sequel to Space Elevator

            Something I never got to bring up was how one of the big ideas I had for my indie performance was how this developing technology relates to theatre.  Basically, I think that developments like this reflect, in my mind, a lot to current movements, if there are any, in the theatre.  Technology is driving the aesthetic.  Video is becoming an inherent attribute of scenery.  Automation is exploding all over the place.  It’s important to be aware of these developments and to find some valid function within theatrical language for these hi-tech conventions.  Just like space elevator research, the more awareness that is provoked, the faster these things come about.  It seems worthwhile to take note of the frighteningly vast range of development that is constantly occurring all around us.

            This idea seems like it could lend itself in an obvious way to the sequel.  One thought I had was that I could get up in some variation of the space man suit, maybe it’s evolved, and give a dissertation of sorts on this unrelenting progress.  While I do that, the group could do space choreography around me.  I think there’s the potential for something much more interesting though…

            The best thing about the inspiration for my piece was the predictions of space technology that would, and could actually, develop in the future.  That could be interesting, to stage some ideas about whacky new frontiers, in space or even in theatre.  Maybe space becomes the new venue for theatre through the development of theatre technology!  It’s all pretty theatrical, really.

            I don’t want to make this too long winded because I want you guys to have a chance to read it.  This seems like a decent place to leave it to get the conversation started…

No comments:

Post a Comment